So you have decided you want a new patio in your yard. Perhaps your yard does not have a patio at all. Or, perhaps you want to extend your patio or create a separate patio area for dining, a fire pit, or any other reason.
So you have decided you want a new patio in your yard. Perhaps your yard does not have a patio at all. Or, perhaps you want to extend your patio or create a separate patio area for dining, a fire pit, or any other reason. Whatever the reason, once you have decided to install a new patio, narrowing in on exactly what you want and how to execute it can be challenging. Below is our step by step guide to planning your new patio.
- STEP 1: Set a Budget
- Before you do anything it is important to set a budget for your project. Be realistic about what you can spend and how much a typical patio installation costs. According to HomeAdvisor, a new patio can cost anywhere from $800 – $9,000 depending on materials, size, contractor, location, and more. The average homeowner spent $3,119 on a new patio.
- STEP 2: Contact Your Contractor
- Once you have determined your budget, it is time to contact your contractor and begin to plan. Your contractor will be able to help you determine what you can achieve for your budget and also help provide guidance as to the best materials to use and what will look best in your landscape.
- STEP 3: Choose Your Material
- When it comes to adding a patio, there are far more material options than poured concrete (not that concrete doesn’t look great!). Patio material options include poured concrete, concrete pavers, natural stone, pavers, brick, tile, and more. Fin d a material that suits you and your budget!
- STEP 4: Dream Big
- When installing your patio, you want to think about using the right materials and staying under budget but you also want to plan for what will look best. Think about your existing landscape as well as your home’s architecture and plan accordingly. You want you patio to feel like an extension of your home, something that blends seamlessly with your existing architecture and landscape. Additionally, if you have the budget to do so, make it the patio of your dreams! Consider adding seating, a dining area, a fire pit, a grill area, a place for an umbrella, or anything else you have always dreamt of having.
- STEP 5: Enjoy!
- Once your contractor or handyman has installed your new patio, it is time to enjoy! Whether you take a book out and enjoy some quiet time on your patio, or you host a big party on your patio, enjoy it any way you like! You planned ahead, budgeted, and dreamed for this patio, now it is time to kick back and enjoy it!